Linux or windows many have asked themselves the same question plenty of times. The operating system that you choose is going to determine how your server performs. The difference between the two servers is quite evident especially if you are using a Virtual private server or dedicated hosting.
In this article, we will discuss the role an operating system plays as far as the server is concerned and how to choose between Linux and windows.
Linux Or Windows
Linux or windows, choosing the right operating system is going to affect the performance of your server. The two options that we will discuss are going to be windows or Linux.
You may not be aware of the operating system that is running the server. Since you will be spending more time using the Content management system (CMS) or cPanel. However, there are some reasons that you should take into consideration when it comes to choosing an operating system for your server such as:
- There are some applications that are only compatible with a certain operating system for example cPanel only works with Linux. So you might want to make sure that you have the right operating system for the right application.
- In the case of Linux, users have more options to further customize and is more preferable for developers.
- Each operating system offers a unique experience and you can only find out which one suits you when you actually use one.
- When it comes to shared hosting you might not get to choose which operating system you wish to use. However, in VPS or dedicated hosting, you have the liberty to choose the operating system of your choice.
Linux and Windows Hosting Compared
Many recommend a Linux Operating System without any hesitation due to its open-source and it is becoming quite popular recently. However, it does have certain advantages and disadvantages.
- You must be aware that Linux is an open-source operating system that is more suitable for developers. Perhaps that is the reason why it has become so popular. But Linux still is no match for windows or mac operating systems in home PCs.
- Being an open-source platform it can easily adapt to any environment.
- Linux is also considered to be more secure since it offers an open-source.
- Linux is free of cost whereas you would have to pay if you wish to set up windows on your servers.
- Linux might take some time to get used to apart from that it should not present any significant challenges. Especially if you have an expert developer than Linux would be the best option for you.
Windows operating system is not only used on PCs, but it can also be used for servers. Even though Linux offers plenty of options when it comes to customization. Windows still have come a long way and offer plenty of advantages such as:
- Those who have used windows know that it is quite easy to set up in comparison to Linux.
- When it comes to developing web applications. NET is more compatible with windows.
- As far as the security aspect is concerned windows might not be as reliable as Linux.
In this article, we have discussed the pros and cons of both windows and Linux and how the operating system affects the performance of your server. Linux might sound more attractive due to its open-source and customization options, windows still has a lot more to offer as well. We hope that this article will help you to choose the right operating system that meets your requirements.
If you are looking for further assistance than get in touch with our experts at Ewebguru. We deliver impeccable hosting solutions at an affordable price.
Ashok Arora is CEO and Founder of eWebGuru a leading web hosting company of India. He is a tech enthusiast with more than 25 years of experience in Internet and Technology.
Ashok is Master in Electronics from a leading Indian university.
Ashok loves to write on cloud, servers, datacenter, virtualisation technology.